Joel (J.N.) Franklin, Professor of Applied Mathematics, Emeritus, passed away on November 18, 2017 at the age of 87. Professor Franklin joined Caltech in 1957 and worked closely with Gilbert McCann, professor of applied science, who was one of the early champions of computing at Caltech (and inventor of an analog computer in 1946). Professor Dan Meiron recalls, "Joel excelled as a scholar and researcher … if any of us in applied math—and the Institute in general—had any questions about matrix theory, linear programming, etc. we could consult with Joel and he always pointed us to the relevant results often connected to work he had done in the past." [Caltech story]
- October 22, 2018 12:00 PM IQIM Postdoctoral and Graduate Student Seminar Speaker: Emily Davis West Bridge 57 (CMP Conference Room)
- October 22, 2018 4:00 PM KELLER Colloquium in Computing & Mathematical Sciences Speaker: Amir Ali Ahmadi Annenberg 105
- October 23, 2018 4:00 PM CMI Seminar Speaker: Alessandro Achille Annenberg 314
- October 25, 2018 12:00 PM CMS Partner Tech Talk Speaker: Jen Iofinova Speaker: Dave Bacon Annenberg 105
- October 25, 2018 4:00 PM Finance Seminar Speaker: Justin Birru Baxter B125
- More Events »
IST Meeting of the Minds
A day-long research conference featuring talks, laboratory open houses, and poster presentations by distinguished faculty, graduate students, undergraduates, and researchers from JPL showcasing the latest and most exciting work that is underway in CMS.
Frontiers in Computing + Mathematical Sciences
January 29, 2018 & February 5, 2018
A day-long event focused on providing startups and companies with a chance for meaningful interactions with undergraduate and graduate students, providing students with an opportunity to find out more about the breadth of applications for computing and mathematical sciences across industries.
Alumni College: Caltech Computes
A day-long event that will explore the ways in which computational thinking is disrupting science and engineering, and creating entirely new disciplines with "CS+X".
Ten Years of DNA Origami
A symposium to honor Paul Rothemund’s contribution to the field.
Caltech's premier interdisciplinary hackathon.
One Entangled Evening
A night of science and entertainment celebrating Feynman’s quantum legacy.
CDS 20th Anniversary
Control and Dynamical Systems celebrates its 20th anniversary.
Southern California Symposium on Network Economics and Game Theory.
CS 25th Anniversary
Computer Science celebrated 25 years of innovative, ground-breaking research.