Pietro Perona, Allen E. Puckett Professor of Electrical Engineering, and colleagues have developed the Merlin Bird Photo ID mobile app which uses machine-learning technology to identify hundreds of North American bird species it "sees" in photos. "This app is the culmination of seven years of our students' hard work and is propelled by the tremendous progress that computer-vision and machine-learning scientists are making around the world," says Professor Perona. "A machine that recognizes objects in images, like humans do, was a distant dream when I was a graduate student and now it's finally happening." [Caltech story]
- July 20, 2017 8:00 AM Innovation Speaker Series Talk Speaker: Adam Lichtl Cahill, Hameetman Auditorium
- July 20, 2017 8:45 AM Innovation Speaker Series Talk Speaker: Solange Ramírez Cahill, Hameetman Auditorium
- July 27, 2017 8:00 AM Innovation Speaker Series Talk Speaker: Jorge Moreno Cahill, Hameetman Auditorium
- July 27, 2017 8:45 AM Innovation Speaker Series Talk Speaker: Talulah Riley Cahill, Hameetman Auditorium
- August 3, 2017 8:00 AM Innovation Speaker Series Talk Speaker: Jessica Watkins Cahill, Hameetman Auditorium
- More Events »
Meeting of the Minds
A day-long research conference featuring talks, laboratory open houses, and poster presentations by distinguished faculty, advanced graduate students, undergraduates, and researchers from JPL showcasing the latest and most exciting work that is underway in CMS
Frontiers in Computing + Mathematical Sciences
January 30, 2017 & February 27, 2017
Alumni College: Caltech Computes
A day-long event that will explore the ways in which computational thinking is disrupting science and engineering, and creating entirely new disciplines with "CS+X".
Ten Years of DNA Origami
A symposium to honor Paul Rothemund’s contribution to the field.
Caltech's premier interdisciplinary hackathon.
One Entangled Evening
A night of science and entertainment celebrating Feynman’s quantum legacy.
CDS 20th Anniversary
Control and Dynamical Systems celebrates its 20th anniversary.
Southern California Symposium on Network Economics and Game Theory.
CS 25th Anniversary
Computer Science celebrated 25 years of innovative, ground-breaking research.